Saturday, February 18, 2006

 

Rose colored glasses

Baby M is a little over 2 weeks old now. It seems like ages ago that I was pregnant. I generally remember how uncomfortable and unhappy I was at the end. But, the memories are very vague. I know I had a pain in my lower right ribs for months. But, I can't picture the pain. The contractions - again, I remember I had them, but I can't remember them. The same thing is true about labor. I remember is hurt. I remember not being able to focus on anything but the pain, but I can't remember the pain. This is really a good thing I know, but I'm amazed that such strong experiences are gone so quickly.

Another thing, I wondered what M would look like. There was a bit of fear that she would inherit all the funny looking aspects of my family - my grandmother's lantern jaw; my dad's big head; my squinty eyes. I assumed that, like most babies, she would look like a little old man. I am totally biased - I think she's beautiful.

I think I'm finally getting used to the idea that we get to keep her. That she's not a loaner. That she's going to be with us for a long time. It's a different mind set - the fact that something essential to our lives is different - that we're now parents. Wow.

Comments:
I found your blog while searching for Spleen Qi Deficiency and miscarriage and came across your early posts for your pregnancy. It was pretty weird reading your posts and knowing that at the same time last June I was having scans showing a second failed pregnancy and waiting for my miscarriage to happen. I sometimes think, after going through all this infertility grief, that out there around us in our neighborhoods, there are people who are are having the best times of their lives and the worst time of their lives -- all at the same time. Weird how parallel our experiences were at that time.

Congrats on the birth of your child. I hope you both have a good time getting to know each other.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?