Saturday, November 24, 2007

 

Is socializing with a toddler and new baby social?

This past week our family has gone to two dinners at friends' houses - a Sunday night dinner and Thanksgiving. The first was stressful and just not fun. Bacon was having a great time running around with S, but not eating and as the evening progressed, started running into things, falling down and losing it. As tired as I already was (the nights are not going as well as they were), I wasn't the least bit helpful and left feeling like I needed at least 7 cocktails.

After that, my expectations for Thanksgiving were much lower and I had a much better time. At least one of my children was melting at all times. I didn't really get to talk to anyone, but I did get to eat. D didn't get much food.

Bacon is having serious tantrums these days. They are focused a lot of having me do what she wants when she wants. But also involve things like not putting on clothes and not getting into her highchair. I guess a lot of control type things. I assume that this is related to baby A coming into the picture. She's generally great with him, but hasn't really gotten the concept that she needs to be consistently gentle with him and can't climb over him to get to me or lean on him when he's in her way.

D was mostly home sick this week and although he was sick and working from home, it was still not what life will be like when he's back at work. I'm still trying to figure out how to work those brief moments when both kids are seeming to need all my attention in the same time, but I keep hoping that with practice I'll figure it out.

Comments:
I'm pretty worried about how I'm going to handle two. The advice I've been getting is to tend to the needs of the older child as much as possible, even if you must leave the younger one to fuss a bit. The older one needs to know they haven't been replaced.

As I said, I'm concerned about this. How do you favor a toddler's "want" over a newborn's "need"??? I'm watching to see what I can learn from you!! Good luck!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?