Wednesday, July 25, 2007

 

Down for the Count

Down = bedrest. For the Count = forseeable future; possible until 36 weeks. Cervix was measured at 2.5 cm compared to 2.7 cm last week. The radiologist and OB say that this is essentially no change. But, according to the OB, a sign that things aren't improving or getting worse. It still made me cry. Baby boy was breech as opposed to last week when he was head down. This certainly defeats my theory that the baby's head was pushing on things making it worse.

This means weeks of seeing Bacon for short stints, paying to have the nanny watch her when she can, earning little to no money, figuring out what to do with Bacon when nanny returns to her pre-school gig in September, all while I just lay here and try not to contract or let my cervix shorten.

The good news is that the OB says that if things go south, it won't happen quickly. That statement gives me tons of peace of mind. We're at 25 weeks today, so three more super critical weeks, then other (I'm not counting them, la, la, la, you can't make me) weeks to get us to 36.

How did I block this out from my pregnancy with Bacon? It seemed so reasonable to expect this as a possibility before I got pregnant and even during the first trimester. But, somehow, in the past several weeks, I totally stopped thinking of this. One good reason was that the contractions just haven't been as bad as they were with Bacon. But, my sister was on bedrest for 2 and drugs to stop contractions for all 3 of her children. She made it to at least 28 weeks before starting, but still.

I have this big theory, that I've mentioned briefly before, that my miscarriages and this whole bedrest thing are all due to an "irritable" uterus. My guess is that my sister has it too; just not as bad. I think its strange that absolutely no doctor has ever suggested this to me, but it just makes too much sense.

As of today, I've got a near perfect set up in the bedroom: (1) laptop with wireless internet; (2) TV and DVD player; and (3) lots of books on order from the library. I told work today and hopefully, they'll let me keep the projects that I can do remotely. Since this is almost everything I have, I'm hoping it will work. Our group is just slow now, so nothing is pressing. But a bit of work every day helps keep me sane and provides with some income to offset the extra nanny costs.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?