Thursday, March 02, 2006

 

One Month Old!

Our little girl is one month old today. One month ago we were in the hospital trying to get some sleep and adjust to being a family.

She had her one month doctor's appointment yesterday. She now weighs 9 lbs. 4 oz. is awake more and crying more. It seems to be getting easier. I haven't had a bad day since Tuesday. For the moment, the nights aren't bad. We're up from every 2 to every 4 hours and recently there has been an hour or two of awake/fussy time. But, thinking about it, the nights seem a bit easier than the days. At night, the only goals are sleeping and feeding (with a diaper change or two thrown in).

During the day, I want to get alot done; sometimes its possible - sometimes its not. Those days when I can't get anything accomplished are hard. But (hopefully) I'm adjusting to it. I'm able to let her cry for more than a few second without feeling like I'm doing things wrong. I'm working on getting over the idea that there has to be a reason for her crying.

We visited my office yesterday. My team in deep in the throes of a major project with incredibly long hours. While I don't have any interest in doing what they are doing, I do want to help out. I'm trying to come up with a plan where I can have everything; where I can care for M and help out at work (and earn some money). I'm not certain it exists. At this point, I imagine any plan that works at the moment, won't work when she gets a little bigger. Then there's our desire to have another baby . . .

Thinking about it last night, I'm amazed at how little I can remember of the actual pain and discomfort of pregnancy and labor. Now that I'm 39, I feel like we have to hurry and start a pregnancy if we're possibly going to have another successful one. With all the restrictions I had with the last pregnancy, how would I do it and care for M? D and I spoke about it the other night. One possibility is for him to take leave to take care of M if I can't. How will it be if we start on the miscarriage train again? I will start reading up on things, but I recall that it is recommended that women take a year off between having children. I can't remember hearing why. I've also never heard of anyone having any problems for not waiting a year. (This reminds me of the recommendation to not get pregnant until 3 months after a miscarriage. M was conceived the month after my 4th miscarriage - a very early one. But, miscarriages 2 and 3 were back to back months.)

The idea of trying for another child seems like tempting fate. We have one perfect child after a hard road. Might our efforts to have more somehow result in taking what we have for granted and ending up with less?

Comments:
Happy One-Month Birthday! Sounds like life with the little one is going swimmingly. As for a possible new addition to the family... ultimately you and D will figure out the right time for another attempt.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?