Sunday, November 20, 2005

 

GD - does she or doesn't she?

Shockingly, I failed my one hour glucose test. I was truly surprised. Other people had written about feeling weird after drinking the glucola. I didn't have that experience. When the nurse left me a message to call her about the results on Monday, but noted that she would be out of the office on Tuesday, I thought the news could obviously wait until my Thursday appointment. If I'd failed, she would have left that information in the message, right? Apparently not. While I didn't get my number, it apparently was surpringly high. So high that the nurse commented that not all women with my results actually have gestational diabetes. Hmmm.

The doctor's appointment went well. I returned to work on Monday. No serious increase in contractions (until Saturday but wandering an arts & crafts show followed by a party likely was related to that.) Weight up to 159. While that's totally within a reasonable range, gaining 3 1/2 pounds in a week freaked me out a bit. My doctor commented that weekly weight checks are not ideal just for this reason. My weight gain over the month is something like 4 pounds total. (Yes, I feel a bit stupid for freaking out.) Amiotic fluid doing great. I'm staying on the ibuprofen until 36 weeks which happens to be January 1. After that, ibuprofen may be linked with heart development issues. So, no ibuprofen. Works for me.

I did the 3-hour test on Saturday. It really wasn't as bad as I thought. The lab people were nice and didn't seem to mind when I took a nap between the second and third blood draws in their waiting area. The nap seriously helped the time pass.

I just can't get worked up about the possibility of gestational diabetes. If I have it, I'll deal. I'm just too happy overall to have gotten this far with the baby still alive and thriving - 28 weeks - hurray!

It's nice being back at work. The days pass so much faster. After a very brief respite, things are heating up again. Our team even has a new addition - or at least piece of one. (I think my month off prepared them for things to come.)

Life just seems like such an adventure right now. I'm so happy and excited to see what happens next.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?