Thursday, November 10, 2005

 

26 weeks

Strangely, I'm having more contractions, but I'm also less nervous about it all. Perhaps its that anything can seem normal after a while. That does make some sense. As the contractions continue, they don't seem to be leading anywhere - they just come and go - now this includes when I'm laying down and while I'm sleeping at night. Sometimes its only one. Sometimes they come in clumps. So far, there is no increase in degree or length. So far, never more than 6 in an hour. There's still no cervical involvement, but the doctor today noted that the baby's head is now against my cervix. (I saw a different doctor. So I don't know if this is something different or just something he happened to mention to me that my normal doctor hasn't.) She's been head down since the first ultrasound to check on things back at 23 weeks.

I've been staying home from work. With the contractions now coming whether I'm up or down, my thought was that I might as well return and see how things go. The doctor today suggested that I wait to get my test results from today before making any decisions. I did have the fetal fibronectin test done today. It was explained that if its negative, this means that there is only a very small chance of going into labor in the next two weeks. If its positive, there is only a 50% chance of going into labor in the next two weeks. I should have the results by the end of the day tomorrow. *** Results just came in - I'm negative. My doctor says the choices are to increase activity levels or cut out the ibruprofen. I'll increase activity, thank you very much.

This week I read a very good "chic lit" novel that dealt with the issue of miscarriage - "Luscious Lemon" by Heather Swain. I wasn't entirely prepared for the topic which was generally hinted at on the book jacket. It really hit home and brought up all the feelings associated with my first miscarriage. Both the sense of wonder regarding the early pregnancy and the feeling of the sky falling when it ends. Also, the aftermath - the feeling that you should be moving forward with life and the comments ("God's plan," "it was for the best," "you can always have another.") The author did a great job of capturing the naive excitement of a pregnancy (even an unexpected one) and the devastation when it is lost.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?