Monday, July 25, 2005

 

The Wonder of Late Bloomers

Me and my friends are all a group of late bloomers. A pack of them got married around 32. I got married at 36 and two of them are getting married this summer around 40. One of the weddings was yesterday. The bride was accompanied by her sister, although both father and step-father were present and father gave a wonderful speech at the reception. Both the church and the reception were in beautiful locations and the weather was perfect. It was a great event.

The father's speech included a comment on waiting for the right thing. While I don't think the couple was intentionally waiting (the groom had lived with an old roommate of mine for six years), I do think they and all but one of my married friends (who is already divorced) are well suited and very happy. I've heard that statistically us late bloomers are more likely to stay married. I don't know if it's because we pick differently somehow or are simply different than we were at a younger age.

I had lunch today with the other friend who is getting married next month. We talked about the upcoming wedding, our families and past boyfriends. Given both of our past choices, it seems surprisingly good who we ended up choosing. The wonder of blooming late.

I never worried about marriage. Starting a few years before I found my husband, I was much happier by myself than with the wrong person. I always figured that because I wanted a child, I would find a way to make it work with or without a husband. I just had confidence that things would work.

The third miscarriage brought on the consciousness of time. The feeling that I might run out of time before I got the chance to have a child by the method I chose. My 38th birthday, shortly after the diagnosis of "unexplained" was just plain hard. Not such a wonder of late blooming.

Today I'm counting my blessings. I have wonderful friends, a great husband, and for today am still pregnant with the child we hope to keep.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?