Thursday, July 28, 2005

 

And now for the Integrated Screen

I just got back from my first appointment with my new OB. I thought she was great - a good level of detail, not a lot of fluff, and it's okay if I take aspirin (unless much later in the pregnancy). Yeah - maybe some help for the non-stop headaches I've been getting.

My blood pressure is good - 105/60. Weight - 145 - right around my pre-pregnancy weight.

I even got another ultrasound. The fetus is measuring 47 mm or 11w4d. I saw her heartbeat and a nice amount of stretching and wiggling. The ultrasounds have always been very reassuring. Now that it's really starting to look like a person in there, it's even better.

I'm going to start going through the integrated screen tomorrow - nucal fold testing and blood work. We wait a few weeks and then some more stuff. I'm not quite sure of what, so I'll go on-line after this and figure it out. My thought is to follow a friend's reasoning. If the screening comes back of showing a higher risk of a problem than amnio's risk of a miscarriage, I'll get an amnio. If not, I won't. I've had two girlfriends with leaking amniotic fluid after an amnio - one who ended up on bed rest, both of whom had premies. I don't think that there's any proof of a causal relationship, although I know the first, who had an uneventful second pregnancy, thinks so.

DH and I have never discussed what we would do if there are any abnormalities. I just figure we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

The whole pregnancy thing is just starting to actually feel real. Through this past year I've felt so crappy with all of the drugs and early pregnancies that all of my symptoms have just seemed to be more of the same - discomfort that leads to heartache. It seems like there should be a different word for it - pregnancy leading to miscarriage. It's not really that the pregnancy is feeling more real. It's that I'm starting not to anticipate the miscarriage as much.

Things are going so much better this time. I'm so hoping and starting to believe that this time it will be different.

Comments:
So glad you had a good appointment. Good luck with the nuchal screening. Mine is Monday.

I agree, pregnancy that leads to miscarriage is just as much pregnancy as this is, but after having several of those certainly it certainly is difficult to trust that this time will be any different. Mine is also going much better than any of my earlier ones, but I still get jittery and weird before every ultrasound.

Again, good luck tomorrow.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?