Thursday, June 30, 2005

 

Rambling Thoughts

Today has been beautiful. I walked to lunch - great, cheap Chinese food - and met one of my neighbors. He, Walt, and his dog, Piper, were walking back from the grocery store. They live about a block and a half away. He told me where his house is. I know the one. Walt looks to be in his 80s. He told me the story of the man who lived on my corner - Sam, an 85 year old WWII vet, who recently had a stroke in the grocery store and passed away. I'd never met Sam, but I had seen him walking his dog several times. I used to visit his dog in his front yard and I took my dog for a walk. Sam's house sold about two months ago and is currently being remodeled.

My neighborhood is, in theory, up and coming. Likely, because every neighborhood in the city is. The houses are mostly small. They are owned by a mixture of elderly, young couples and a few families. I bought this house before meeting my husband. He has called the neighborhood sketchy. It is true that we have more taverns than any other type of business in our small downtown area and that people in various stages of inebriation have a tendency to roam the streets. But, I would walk the streets at any time of day and feel safe. And I get to meet people like Walt.

Walt made me think of my grandmother who died nine years ago. Like Walt, my grandmother had a blind eye. She'd been in a terrible car accident in the 1950s and had to have significant facial reconstructive surgery. They couldn't do anything about the injury to her eye. It wasn't until after she died that I saw photos of her from before the accident. She looked a lot like my mother and a lot like me. She rocked.

Tomorrow is another ultrasound. Today I find myself thinking about this pregnancy, whether we will get to keep this one, and thoughts of the possible child we may have. I hope I get to name this one in memory of my grandmother like I've always wanted to.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?