Friday, June 10, 2005

 

Coming to Term

After hearing about the book from many sources, including Dr. Chicago (who's in it), I finally read "Coming to Term" by Jon Cohen. I started it yesterday and finished this morning. I was a bit hesitant to read it -- I was primarily concerned that it would include a lot of grief stuff -- I'm not quite sure what that would look like, but it would be a lot of "it's okay that you're sad" and whatnot. That's not this book at all.

The book was a mixture of science, including the studies that have proven or disproven a variety of things related to miscarriage, theory and conjecture, including some of the treatments out there that are currently unproven, and personal stories. The combination helps make it very readable.

A point that is repeated many times over, including on the back of the book jacket, is that women with three or more miscarriages in a row have a successful pregnancy nearly 70% of the time without any treatment. While that still leaves 30% (and the general problem that I have with applying statistics to an individual), I'll still take the hope that it provides.

Two studies were also discussed that measured the impact of "tender-loving care" on recurrent miscarriers. While the study groups were relatively small (36/24 and 42/10), both studies came to the exact same results -- that the women who received "formal supportive care" versus "standard care" had successful pregnancies at a rate of 86% versus 33%. That's huge. Some of the things included in TLC were weekly exams and psychological support. (These TLC studies also may confound the results of other treatments that also provide TLC -- any good results may be from the treatment or the TLC and since there's a 70% success rate without any treatment, the success rate has to be above 70% to show any improvement over nature.)

The book also explains why IVF with PGD isn't necessarily a good answer for recurrent miscarriage. While I had heard all of this before, from my local doctor who was in favor of doing it, and Dr. Chicago who was opposed, it was easier to take in by reading it.

Being diagnosed as unexplained, I love the idea that something as simple as TLC can improve my chances of success. I have no idea if the alternative medicine that I've been doing has helped or will help, but it does make me feel cared for. (The book does not address any alternative medicine.) But, under the TLC theory, it very well may help.

Recurrent miscarriage has been so hard to take. As discussed by someone in the book, a first miscarriage brings flowers and condolences - by the fourth one, there was very little recognition (except from Pam - thanks Pam! - who had gone through 2 herself). I keep trying to treat this like any other hurdle - throw more effort into it; don't give up until I've done everything possible regardless of cost. Dr. Chicago and "Coming to Term" both focused on the point that is hard to listen to - more intervention doesn't necessarily mean more success, but keep trying. There may be more miscarriages, but the odds for success are in your favor.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?